Friday, June 8, 2007

Story Of The Day

Yesterday, I managed to drag myself get out from the bed quite early, yes.. 9am was very early (*grin*). Then I got out of the house, walked around the shop nearby, and found some salons. They are located quite hidden in the second floor of the building. I went in and they looked like quite nice salon with friendly people. I might have my hair done someday in one of those salons.

After that I didn't feel going home yet, so amazingly I found myself hail a taxi, thinking to go to the nearest shopping area. Note: It was my first time being in a taxi by myself since I've been here. Why? I was worried that I cant direct taxi driver to go to my house. Here, I would really need to direct them, because you are lucky if you can get drivers who knows the nearest small Hotel from my place, or even if they know that Hotel, we still need to direct them to go to my house as they are not familiar with name of the street, they were lousy in reading map, they drive fast and normally have very loud radio on. Pretty complicated. But today I just wanted to get out of house and just try!

Finally, I got into Mecca Mall quite all right (I think taxi driver took me a round trip to get more fare, but it's ok as long as it has meters on and it doesn't cost me more than 2 JD). Then I strolled in the mall by myself, which was fun and relaxing. I was actually need some things, so I tried to have a look shops that I really need to. Went in to few shoe shops and surprisingly got friendly and helpful customer service. Went in to few cosmetics and jewellery and accessories shops too. Only in not more than 2,5 hours, I have bought 2 pasminas, 2 cosmetic products, 1 belt, 1 set of quilt cover, and 1 pair of shoes. All in good quality and brand, with good price. That was a record for me! I usually spent more than 5 hours looking for something I need and could find any.

Getting home was another challenge. I got a taxi easily in front of the mall as queued. Then I told him the landmark building near my apartment (the small Hotel) in Arabic. Driver looked understand what I said. I crossed my finger hoping he would pass the location near my house which I know. And yes, he drove to that location and I could easily direct him to stop right in front of my apartment building. Nice! Didn't get lost at all. :D

Before I got into my apartment, I met Ahmad at his little room downstairs. He is our 'houseman' (a man who are paid to take care of the apartment building such as guard, clean, and do bit of maintenance, and do general assistance to the tennants). He barely speak English. Interesting how I communicate with him. I learned Arabic only 4 weeks before I got here, and what I learned is apparently very formal Arabic, while people here (including Ahmad) talk in 'street' Arabic. I hardly use his service yet and about to try one. As I have to walk to the main road to hail a taxi, so I thought I would try to get Ahmad to get me taxi ready in front of the apartment so it would save time and energy for me to go to Andrew's office that evening. So yesterday, I spoke in broken 'formal' arabic words to him, asking him to find me a taxi at 5pm that day. He looked understand, and tried to confirmed with his own words. He spoke 'street' Arabic words... I couldn't understand any words! I repeated what I want in my words, and he said 'ok'. I was then should wait and see what's gonna happen at 5pm then went inside. It was only about 2pm at that time.

About 10 minutes to 5pm I was ready to go. I looked at Ahmad's little room, the window and door is closed. I called him but no answer. Then I heard someone yell 'madame!' from the street. It was Ahmad. He got out from taxi, smile and said 'taxi madame'. :D Wacko! Nice treat.

Then... (yes, the day hasn't finished yet!) Another challenge is to direct driver to Andrew's office. Hhhh......But instead... I didn't get any difficulties at all! It went straight to the location. How great is that!! And then I'm ready to meet Andrew and other people to cheer and support Australian Soccer Olympic team. We were going to King Abdullah Bin Al Hussein Stadium by bus, to watch soccer match between Aussie and Jordan. That would be another story, another post and pictures.

But to be able to go around by myself in the foreign country as a minority where I hardly understand the language, was a definite 'something'. I can call it achievement even for such simple things like getting a taxi. When you can enjoy what you've done and had and feel safe and sound, it would be another value. I got it all in one day yesterday. Really hope it stays that way, especially with all the news about the racism and harrasment floating around. Now I can say I was quite proud of myself. ;p

No comments: