Wednesday, January 31, 2007

"A Fortunate Life"

Finished this book. Finally!

First classic Australian book I've ever read. Thanks to my friend, Sofi who lend it to me. Took ages to finish it, but it's not because it's too boring. I've only got distracted to other things. ;p

What can I say about this book. One of the books that I would have as a collection and re-reading. A book I would recommend other people to read. Combination between history, autobiography, and literature. True story about extraordinary life journey of Albert B. Facey (1894-1982). He wrote it in his elderly age (in his 80's), quite amazed with how he could remember his childhood life in detail. This book has helped me understand the past. I got the picture now what it was like to live and being a first settlement in this country in the 19th century. The life in that century was totally different than it is today (of course !). Also got a better picture of what how Australia involved in World War I and what Gallipoli is.

Facey had bitter and hard life, especially in his young age. Many people may experience the same, but not many can put it in writing like he did. Facey had no formal education. He taught himself to read and write. For some people this book can be boring. It was like reading an unimportant, dull journal. But for sure it's a great and moving book that had inspired many people. I'm one of them who enjoyed and moved by it.

"I have lived a very good life, it has been very rich
and full. I have been very fortunate and I am thrilled by it when I look back.''

-A. B. Facey-

No comments: