Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Traditional Vs Electronic

............. 'XX' is wishing you a Merry X-mas and great New Year 2010... Have a great holiday........

it's another christmas wishes on my friend's status on facebook. This time not even went to my personal mailbox. As I am considering myself as her friend, so I should think that message is for me too.
What happened to the world?! The last few years the communication world has been taken over by electronic device. What happened with the written letters and cards?

As much as I enjoy the practicality of technology and paperless environment on birthdays and Christmas' time, this year I am missing the old days. Am talking about Christmas time in particular here.

I misses the day when I would be busy making Christmas cards, sent/handed them to my friends. Or would be busy buying lots of Christmas cards then sent them by post. The next day I would impatiently wanted to go home to see who has sent me a card and how many card I received that day. I remember the feeling to get a 'surprise' cards. I remember the excitement of decorating the house with all the cards we got in the house. Sometimes we left them standing on special table, some other times we stick them on the wall, other time we put them under the Christmas tree, or arrange them like a tree on the wall. From all the cards I received, I would give a lots of attention and care to a hand made card, made by me own friends who gave them to me. I felt it was very special. As special as all the handmade cards I made for them. At the end of the season I would count the total cards I received that year, and wrapped them neatly and safe them in a box (I still have them now).

As the year goes by, the quantity of cards I get is lesser and lesser. Starting with the birth of email, people started to send e-cards through email - which at least I can print ( I never did that, though). Then through sms (which at least it can be saved in the phone inbox for a few months - then their gone). Then through friendster, and now on facebook. It starting to lost the essence, doesn't feel special anymore.

In the last five years I sent at least 8 cards each year, and all I received was only two Christmas cards every year; one from my dearly husband, and the other one from my parents in law.

I sent 3 cards this year. Two days ago I found a christmas card in my mailbox. It was from my friend in Melbourne (whom should get the card from me too by now). It looked pretty and special with all the photos in it. It was a surprise and made my day. It brought me back to old memories and wish to find more cards everyday on my mailbox from someone I know.

Poor mr postman, he become an unwanted person who only deliver us junk mails and bills.

No comments: