Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Snow In The Desert

My mobile rang, and I groaned. It was only 7:15am, and I was still half dreaming when my Hubby in Damascus saying, "get out of bed and look out of your window!”

What?

And I saw drizzle of ... not rain,.. but something that looks like white cotton falling as soon as I open the shutter of my bed room window. It's snowing! Finally I have my first snow. Hubby got a work call from his colleague in town who also informed it's snowing here and he called me right after.

So the forecast was right! But it still strange waking up to a snowy Amman.

This time I didn't have to be dragged out of bed even though it was early and cold because the heating was off again! (it's been on and off in almost a week, we have problem with the diesel and boiler). Normally I'll be upset and cranky. But this morning I was too excited to think about the broken diesel. After I called the maintenance guy, I quickly looked out the windows in each directions (the apartment gets all the view from each directions). It's getting heavier and heavier when I looked at it. I was sooo thrilled.

It's beautiful and peaceful with grey sky, dry twiggy trees and green pine trees between buildings as the background. I put Vivaldi on and sip my warm tea while I looked out the window through out my balcony and enjoy the sight of snow falling... hmmm.... nice feeling!

Not only it's my first snow, but also it's the first snow in this winter season in this country. I thought I was over reacted,.. but actually I'm not alone. People were going crazy with excitement. Radio keep talking about it and how they surprise with snow today (seems like they have different forecast sources - not BBC), how excited people are, how you have to be careful when driving and telling people to just stay at home and snuggle in bed, have hot chocolate and marshmallow. My mobile didn't stop making noises this morning, all talking about the same topic.

M (a friend - sms) = "Have you looked out the window? It's snowing!"
R (malaysian friend, sms) ="Snow dah turun! Enjoy!"
L (my maid - sms) ="Hi madam, it's snowing. I can't come. Tomorrow morning ok?"
M (a friend - sms) = "I can see not many cars on the main road"
N (a friend - MSN online) ="It's snowing! have you gone out and play with the snow?"
B (maintenance guy-local guy) with the biggest smile I've ever seen, he said = "it's a beautiful day!" "It's good for Jordan. We'll be able to get a bit of water" - This guy was so happy so he told his son to go back to bed, don't bother to go to school today!

People are happy and thrilled, just like I do! I'm not the only one. Some people use it as an excuse to go to school or work because of the road condition. Road will become very slippery and dangerous for small-light cars. The country has been thirsty for water and been waiting for rain and snow that came very late this season.
I wanted to go out, walk on the pile of snow, and play and take lots and lots of pictures from the ground. But it would look so crazy to do it by myself. So I only took pictures from my 4th floor apt's balcony and windows.










Although its beautiful, but I am not looking forward to have too much of it. It's cold, gloomy, and make us hard to get around. Our car is not a 4 wheel drive car, so it's not too safe to drive on the ice slippery road. As much as I like to stay at home, I will need to get out, do my errand and have fun outside the house.

No comments: